Defending dignity. Fighting global poverty.
CARE is an international humanitarian aid organisation fighting global poverty, with a special focus on working with women and girls to bring about lasting change to their communities. We are a non-religious and non-political Australian charity, working together with communities to provide emergency relief and address the underlying causes of poverty. We believe supporting women and girls is one of the most effective ways to create sustainable outcomes in poor communities.
Learn more about CARE’s aid work with women and girls
CARE was recently ranked #7 out of 100 NGOs by The Global Journal, a print and online publication based in Geneva and New York. Read more at The Global Journal.
© Josh Estey/CARE
We seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live in dignity and security. CARE will be a global force and partner of choice within a worldwide movement dedicated to ending poverty. We will be known everywhere for our unshakeable commitment to the dignity of people.
CARE's mission is to serve individuals and families in the poorest communities in the world. Drawing strength from our global diversity, resources and experience, we promote innovative solutions and are advocates for global responsibility.
We facilitate lasting change by:
- strengthening capacity for self-help
- providing economic opportunity
- delivering relief in emergencies
- influencing policy decisions at all levels
- and addressing discrimination in all its forms.
Guided by the aspirations of local communities, we pursue our mission with both excellence and compassion because the people whom we serve deserve nothing less.
- We respect and value diversity.
- We respect, value and seek to enhance local capacities.
- We value and support the central role of women in development.
- We recognise and value the professionalism, skills and experience of our staff, and their contribution to institutional learning and development.
- We value CARE's dynamism, adaptability and resilience.
- We value the support of our donors and program partners.
- We value the operational freedom which stems from being a not-for-profit Australian agency which is independent of any religious or political affiliation and which does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, age, religion or politics.